Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Discovery of Social Bookmarking

On my Safari I make use of the handy toolbar for favourites to link the sites I visit on a daily basis, that way they are only one easy click away. I also have a favourites menu in the bookmarks section that I use for various websites I want to keep track of. My list got so big that I tried to sort it into sub-files, but I found that I couldn’t keep up with sorting the sites as I saved them. It was like trying to keep all my clothes folded in my room, impossible. After class, I signed up for Delicious to save my bookmarks. Social bookmarking sites help organize the sites right as you save them. This is good for me, because instead of going back and organizing, I am prompted to tag and comment right at the moment. The only problem is that to find the sites I save I have to go to a website and search which seems like more work than just looking in your browser. But Delicious still benefits me because I would rather have one extra step than an unorganized folder of random websites.
On Delicious I tagged five sites that are course related. 

1. 50 Ways to Use Social Media; Listed By Objective
TONNES of information sorted by categories on how to use social media for marketing. Could be extremely helpful for final project. 


2. Don't Believe These 10 Social Media Myths

Myths of social media. Interesting view of what people think and really relative to the course! 


3. How Social Media Changed Campaigning

In depth look at social media during the elections. Talks about “sneezers” on twitter as re-tweeters. Nice. Kind of boring though.


4. Does Social Media Make Us Better People? 

We are more exposed, therefore is our behaviour improving? hmmmm I like this one.


5. BBC NEWS | Technology | Music site Last.fm bought by CBS

CBS buys last.fm.. big money!


For the third part of blog-work assigned I searched “Canadian” in the three social bookmarking sites.

I found that
Diigo seems like it is used more by adults or intellectuals. All the links that came up were about investing, news, economic news, and taxes. Probably since it is about annotation and side notes, it makes it a popular site for thinkers, students, and business people.

Digg seemed very much popular culture phenomenon. It contained many results that were currently popular news item, controversial, and humorous content. There was also a lot about Canadian/US relations but most of it was comedy and seemed to downplay Canadians. Not sure why, maybe more Americans use Digg than Canadians. 


Delicious is what I signed up for because it seemed most user friendly but I enjoy scanning Digg more because the tagged items are generally more interesting. Delicious works great for personal use because of the tag system. On Delicious I found that there were a lot more positive sites about Canadians (compared to Digg). Most of the tagged sites were a kind of self help for Canadians or a news story. 


Google gave me a broader search result, and with mostly important sites listed first like the Canada wikipedia page, Molson’s site, Canadian Tire, and a few charity sites. It was interesting being these are popular Canadian themes you could say.

Overall, its important to know how content is delivered to a site. Google depends on links, whereas social bookmarking sites rely on people. It would be interesting to see a demographic analysis of the users of each SB site. What nationalities use it most, age groups, gender, etc. Further, to relate the demographics to the popular content would be an interesting research project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment