Wednesday, May 6, 2009

COMM 3P96

Hey, I already introduced myself in this blog, but here we go again! My name is Carissa and I am a Communications: Media, Culture & Society stream major in my second year of study. I am not a hardcore gamer, but I have dabbled in PC and video games. I would probably label myself as a gamer before I was in university. High school spare got me acquainted with Counterstrike & Halo and in grade school I played large amounts of Runescape and Neopets. I also love Pogo.com’s ‘Poppit’ game with balloons. Also, I just found out you can buy many games for your iPod which sounds exciting. Mostly I would say I play computer games if at all. I don’t really have a favourite game but I did realllly love Neopet’s Meerca Chase, as well as Poppit. Actually I just remembered this game you can download called Tank Wars and its SO awesome. You can play it against someone if you’re on the same network. Super cool. I feel like since University started I play hardly any games at all because if I’m not working, schooling, or sleeping I am out doing other social things. Gaming just doesn’t seem to fit into my schedule. Even Guitar Hero which my brother and sister were obsessed with when it first came out never really got me hooked. 

I think discussing gaming and virtual worlds is very important because it is always SO negatively criticized. People who do make time in their schedule for gaming are often looked down on for no clear reason. Even by people who don’t consider themselves gamers can be gamers, like Prof Tracy has mentioned. My mom plays Mahjong and Freecell/or Spider Solitaire for hours every night, yet is concerned when my brother plays Runescape or WoW or whatever goes on for consecutive hours. What makes these gaming styles different or one more or less acceptable than another? I do not know. Maybe by the end of this course I will find out. I also think it is important because the offline world and the online world are connected (obviously) and therefore the offline world can be affected by the online one, as well as visa-versa. 


Serious Games. 

I checked out FloodSim  because I thought WHOA- politicians, emergency planners, and rescue workers could use this game for preparing for an emergency. What better way than to make a emergency plan then to see the effects of major flooding in a virtual world. Similarly a game like this increased awareness AND forces people to critically think about actions necessary after a major disaster. 

Peacemaker: Lots of people are confused about conflicts dating back for decades such as between Israel & Palestine. Who is right? Who is wrong? Both, neither? This game allows for an unbiased medium to evaluate, explore and manipulate such conflict. 

Food Force is an interesting way to contribute to third world hunger issues from your very own home. It not only has the game but also many links telling players how to help, what to do, how to get involved, etc. 

I find all of these serious games extremely interesting. They seem able to ‘help’ or encourage thought for many serious issues. I had no idea that serious gaming was so big and easy to access. I am interested in knowing how much do these games actually help the issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment